Zubarah Fort was originally built by Sheikh Abdullah bin Jassim Al Thani in 1938 to serve as a Coast Guard station. Today, the fort serves as a museum and landmark. Being 65 miles (105 km) out of Doha, it’s mile after mile of flat land before coming across a blip on the horizon, so stay alert. Also, like so much in Qatar at the moment, the fort is under renovation and the nearby deserted Qatari village ruins are currently closed to the public.
(Nikon D7100, December 2015)