Beihai Park is an imperial garden to the northwest of the Forbidden City. First built in the 10th century, it is amongst the largest of Chinese gardens, and contains numerous historically important structures, palaces and temples. Since 1925, it has been open to the public as a park.
At the center of the Park is Qionghua Island. The Bai Ta (White Pagoda) is a 40 meter (131 ft) high stupa placed on the highest point on Qionghua Island. Its body is made of white stone. Destroyed in 1679 by an earthquake, it was rebuilt the following year and restored again in 1976 because of an earthquake which occurred at Tangshan, near Beijing.
Photos taken July 2012.