Fort Canning is a small hill slightly more than 60 meters high within the Central Area that forms Singapore’s central business district. Although small in physical size, it has a long history intertwined with that of the city-state due to its location as the highest elevation within walking distance to the city’s civic district.
Impressed by the commanding view it offered over the colony he had established, Stamford Raffles built his first residence on the hill. A keen botanist, he also built Singapore’s first botanical garden here in 1822. The residence also served the colony’s governors. By late 1859, increased security concerns led to the hill taking on a military role with the demolition of the governor’s residence, and the building of a fort with an arms store, barracks and a hospital. The fort was named Fort Canning after Viscount Charles John Canning, who was then Governor-General.
Photos taken April 2014 (Nikon D7000).
Back to Singapore