During Singapore’s early history, under the Raffles Plan of 1822, the settlement was divided according to different ethnic groups, including European Town, along with Chinese, Arab and Bugis kampongs (“villages”). Kampong Glam was designated for the Sultan and his household, as well as the Malay and Arab communities, many of whom were merchants. It was situated east of what was then the European Town.
Today, Kampong Glam retains strong ties to the Native-Malay and Muslim community, and has sometimes been termed the “Muslim Quarter” due to its history. The Muslim population still remains a significant presence in Kampong Glam and the area remains a center for Muslim activities and the Sultan Mosque remains a major landmark and congregation point for Singapore Muslims.
Photos taken April 2014 (Nikon D7000).
Back to Singapore