The Cathedral of Cuernavaca was built originally as a convent for the town and was founded by the first twelve Franciscan friars who arrived in the country in 1525. Unlike many cathedrals in Mexico, this one does not face the city’s main square, but rather is located just to the south, in its own walled compound, which it shares with a number of other structures. Unlike the other monastery structures from its time, the importance of this church provoked a number of renovation projects, the last of which occurred in 1957.
Photos taken December 2014 (Nikon D7000).
Back to Mexico City