The name comes from Nahuatl and most likely means “place of coyotes,” when the Aztecs named a pre-Hispanic village on the southern shore of Lake Texcoco which was dominated by the Tepanec people. The village, later municipality, of Coyoacan remained completely independent of Mexico City through the colonial period into the 19th century. In 1857, the area was incorporated into the Federal District when the district was expanded. In 1928, the borough was created when the Federal District was divided into sixteen boroughs.
Photos taken December 2014 (Nikon D7000).
Back to Mexico City