The Plaza de las Tres Culturas (“Square of the Three Cultures”) is the main square within the Tlatelolco neighborhood of Mexico City. The name “Three Cultures” is in recognition of the three periods of Mexican history reflected by those buildings pre-Columbian, Spanish colonial, and the independent “mestizo” nation. The plaza, designed by Mexican architect and urbanist Mario Pani, was completed in 1966. The square contains the remains of Aztec temples and is flanked by the Catholic church of Santiago de Tlatelolco (built between 1604 and 1610) and by a massive housing complex built in 1964.
Photos taken December 2014 (Nikon D7000).
Back to Mexico City