The Cathedral’s construction lasted between 1747 and 1814 and was consecrated by Pope Pius IX in 1860. The cathedral has maintained the status of being the largest cathedral in Central America and one of the best known in the Americas due to its distinct architecture and cultural importance. Due to the robustness of its walls, the Cathedral has survived tremors, volcanic eruptions and wars.
There is a narrow staircase that leads to the roof of the cathedral. From here, one can take off their shoes and walk about, avoiding the frequent domes used to displace rain above and amplify sounds below.
Photos taken March 2015 (Nikon D7000).
Back to Nicaragua