The plantation’s mansion was built in 1839 and was originally named Bon Séjour (“pleasant sojourn”). But steamboat passengers traveling on the nearby Mississippi River had a different view of the property. Marveling at the quarter-mile avenue of 28 giant, live oaks leading up to the house, they dubbed it “Oak Alley.” It is a popular destination featuring tours of the main house by women in period costume.
Photos taken October 2016 (Nikon Df).
Back to Louisiana